Rowan Creative® has its roots in two ventures which launched in the summer of 2001. These were Rowan Research, a project offering a service in online research and report writing, and Textcorrector (a copywriting service, providing re-writes of existing web site text content, and/or the creation of original and bespoke text). These services were added to an existing provision in the field of freelance photography. In March 2005 all the options were drawn together, along with social media management services for small businesses, and re-launched under the name of Rowan Creative, in order to bring everything under one umbrella.
ABOUT RACHAEL MAGOWAN
Training and Background
Rachael’s academic background includes a Bachelor of Arts degree in Writing, with an additional module in photography.
She undertook a number of courses whilst working in radio at CSV Media in research skills, print journalism and radio production skills, which included training in writing scripts for broadcast. She later obtained certificates in web design and advanced Internet skills from IDEA (Manchester Metropolitan University & Manchester College of Arts & Technology, MANCAT).
Rachael has a rich and varied background of experience, obtained through a wide range of roles which have included:
* Communications Lead at EMERGE 3Rs
* Copywriter and Digital Content Editor at TSP Projects (Tata Steel Projects)
* Social Media Manager at Parental Engagement Network
* Manchester Area Co-ordinator for the creative industry networking organisation, Public-i
* Promotions Manager for independent record label Jays Music
* Project Co-ordinator and Acting Manager of Piccadilly Action (Piccadilly Radio’s social action broadcasting service)
* Researcher for CSV Media (at Piccadilly Radio)
* Researcher for Northstar Multimedia
* Researcher for KLCX Rock Radio
* In-house photographer for Iguana Bar, Manchester
* Set Photographer for the film production company Squirk Media
* Station Photographer & Artist Co-ordinator for Chorlton Arts Radio (official station of Chorlton Arts Festival)
In 2005 her research and writing work led her into the emerging field of social media when she began representing a respected live music venue using Myspace. This resulted in a natural progression into Facebook and Twitter as these platforms gained popularity. She then took on the professional creation and administration of social media accounts for an extensive range of businesses and projects, including entertainment venues, night clubs, restaurants and charities. She has also recently expanded into the management of Google Business listings and the use of YouTube to showcase the work of her clients.
Rachael’s early work was as a freelancer involved her in many interesting commissions which provided her with a solid foundation in research and writing.
* Researching and preparing documentation for inclusion in an application to the Radio Authority, to upgrade an independent rock radio station’s status, from a Restricted Service Licence to a full regional licence.
* Researching biographical material on the band Oasis for inclusion on an interactive CD Rom.
* Writing a guide to the Internet, for inclusion in a funding bid for a project promoting the use of the Internet as a public consultation tool.
* Creation and administration of web sites and social media profiles for record labels, music artists, and live music venues.
* Writing commissioned biographies, web site text content, and promotional literature for companies, bands and individuals.
Her current emphasis is on working with environmental charity EMERGE 3Rs, which promotes sustainability and provides recycling and upcycling services, as well as managing the Greater Manchester operations of national surplus food charity FareShare.